You need to be constantly managing your armies in Age of Wonders 4. You can not go crazy accumulating your armies; only a limited number of units can be banded together. There are so many other reasons for your to remove a unit from your army in Age of Wonders 4, but the game doesn’t tell you how to do it exactly. Luckily, we are here to teach you this mechanic.
To remove or disband units from an army in Age of Wonders 4, select the unit you want to let go then press the inspect button (Y for Xbox, Triangle for PS, and Mouse Right-click on PC). Look for the tiny red disband button on the top right corner of this screen and press it. It will ask you for confirmation, and selecting “Yes” will remove the unit.
This detailed guide covers all the necessary info on how to remove an army unit in Age of Wonders 4, so read along!
When to Disband/Remove Units?
Before we go into removing the units in your armies, you need to know why and when it becomes a necessity to get rid of them. There are a few reasons why you might want to disband units. Here are a few examples:
- Units require an upkeep cost to keep them active in your army. So when you are low on funds disbanding units can save you money on their upkeep costs.
- You no longer need the unit. If you have a unit that you no longer use, disbanding, it will free up a slot for a new unit.
- You need to bring in new and upgraded units like Tier 3 units into the mix, so making a place for them is essential.
- Only 6 units of any type can be a part of a given army hence making a place for other units is required.
- You want to free up a slot for a hero. If you have a hero that you want to recruit, you may need to disband some units to free up a slot for them.
How to Disband Units in Age of Wonders 4
To disband a unit, follow these steps:
- Select the unit from the army section that you want to disband.
- Click on the “Inspect Unit” button. This button is located in the bottom right corner of the unit’s selection box.
- This can also be done by pressing the Y/Triangle button on Xbox/PlayStation controller or the Right Mouse Button on the PC.
- On the unit’s inspection screen, look for the “Disband” button. This is the tiny red button located on the right side of the unit’s stat sheet.
- Click on the “Disband” button. A confirmation prompt will appear. Click on the “Yes” button to disband the unit.
Once you have disbanded a unit, it will be removed from your army and you will no longer have to pay its upkeep cost. You will not receive any resources back for disbanding a unit.
Disbanding a Hero
There is one unit that you can never disband: the faction leader. The faction leader can never truly die, and if they are defeated in battle, they will respawn in the faction capital. You also can’t dismiss heroes.
However, there is a way to get rid of them:
- When a hero falls in battle, they will be imprisoned by the faction that defeated them, or they will be resurrected in the crypt of their own faction.
- If a hero is imprisoned, they can be released by paying a ransom.
- If a hero is resurrected, they can be resurrected by building the Wizard Tower: Crypts structure (after building the Wizard Tower: Foundation).
You can use these tactics to remove the hero by not bringing them back. Just know that Heroes do not have an upkeep cost, and they can be respected on the fly, so there is little incentive to remove them.
However, you can sell the remains of a Hero to get a good chunk of money. The equipment can then be used by other Heroes in your armies.
How to Heal Units in Age of Wonders 4
In Age of Wonders 4, all units regenerate health over time. However, the rate of regeneration varies depending on the unit’s location. Units in friendly provinces regenerate health faster than units in unclaimed or hostile territory. Units in friendly cities regenerate health even faster than units in friendly provinces.
There are a few ways to increase the rate of unit regeneration. One way is to select the Empire Skill Natural Recovery from the Nature Affinity tree. This skill increases passive regeneration in a friendly domain by +15.
Another way to increase unit regeneration is to use Tome Spells. Most Tome Spells that heal units are found in the Nature or Order Affinity Tomes. One of the best early options is the Tier 1 Tome of Faith’s Army Heal. This spell heals all friendly units in an army.
There are also some Tome Spells that only target specific unit types. For example, the Tier 2 Tome of Necromancy’s Restore Undead spell restores 20 health to all Undead units in an army.
Units do not retain healing received during combat when they return to the Realm map. Most in-combat healing abilities restore Temporary HP, which only lasts until the battle ends. However, there are numerous ways to gain Temporary HP in battle compared to healing units on the Realm map.
Tome Spells are the primary method of healing units in combat. Each Affinity has Tomes containing Spells that can grant Temporary HP to all units or specific types. Some Tome Spells, such as Healing Roots from the Tier 1 Tome of Roots, also provide a Regeneration effect, allowing units to regain additional Temporary HP over time.
Additionally, certain Ruler Skills and Support units in Age of Wonders 4 can spend action points to provide Temporary HP, such as the Chaplain from the Tome of Faith or the Bannerman from the Feudal Culture.
Disbanding or removing units from your armies is a need in this game since you will be growing your army with meaner units. The game doesn’t actually tell you how to do it, but it is quite simple, and we are glad that this guide would have helped you.