GTA Online is an open-world game where you have the liberty to choose what’s best for you. The main premise is to climb the criminal ranks, perform heists and get rich. However, there are times when certain intangible factors hinder you from your path to success.
There is not much you can achieve if whatever you are doing is not even saving in the first place. It can feel like being stuck in a limbo where you would have to repeat a single mission again and again just to make the game register it once. While this excruciating experience shouldn’t befall anyone in the first place, there are still ways to solve it if you do encounter one.
There can be a multitude of reasons as to why this is happening. If your GTA Online is not saving then you are not properly connected to the Rockstar Servers. Therefore, you should try to establish a reliable connection in order to solve this issue.
There are also times when the server refuses to respond no matter what. Hence, you will need to properly diagnose the issue in order to come up with a reliable solution. We will be guiding you through the steps you can take in order to do this. With that said, here is how you can fix the GTA Online Not Saving error.
Why Does This Error Occur?
This issue stems from a communication error with the Rockstar Servers. Whenever you encounter this error, you will be shown the following prompt:
“Saving Failed – unable to connect to the Rockstar game services”
This can be annoying considering the fact that it takes a boatload of time to rejoin a game. Even if you reconnect, you will have to do the missions all over again since they were not saved in the first place. There are two main reasons why this error occurs:
- Your connection to the Rockstar Games is unreliable.
- GTA Online Servers are down for maintenance.
There is not much to do if there is a server-side issue but you can try a few fixes if it is a local error.
How to Fix GTA Online Not Saving?
Having such an error is undeniably aggravating. However, you can try the following steps to come up with a fix:
Check the Server Status
To get started, you will first need to make sure that the issue resides from your side. There is not much you can do if it’s a server-side issue. Simply wait and it should be back up after a while. You can try to keep the game running. Once the servers are back up, you can attempt a “Force Save” mentioned below.
You May Also Like: Why is Terraria So Slow on Your Computer?
However, if the issue is from your side then you will have to follow the steps from this guide in order to come up with a quick fix. Alternatively, you could also aim for a support ticket and let Rockstar games know about your issue. However, it can take quite the time before someone responds to you. Therefore, here is how you can check the server status in order to confirm your suspicions:
- Head to the Rockstar Support website and click on server status. Alternatively, you can follow this link.
- From there, look for a green bullet beside your platform. If the bullet is red, then the server is down. You can check GTA’s socials to get news about the downtime. If it is yellow then the server is Limited while green indicates no issues.
Force a Save
Grand Theft Auto Online is programmed to instantly save as soon as there is a change to the player state. This can work in cases where your network connection had a momentary hiccup.
- Change Your Accessories: You can try changing your accessories in order to tell the game to “retry” saving. Here is how you can do that:
- Use the Interactive Menu and head to the Inventory.
- From there, go to Accessories and change a piece of clothing.
- Fake a Game Leaver: Simply press Alt + F4 and press no on the dialogue box. This might seem confusing but GTA Online saves whenever a player is about to exit the game. Therefore, you can also force the game to save through this.
- Launch a Mission: Launching a mission halfway will also do the trick since the game will try to connect and save in order to start the mission.
Troubleshoot Your Connection
Ultimately, the reason why this error has occurred is due to the hiccups in your connection to the server. There is nothing to do other than wait if the issue is from the server’s end. In the latter case, it is better to fix it once and for all in order to experience a smooth gaming experience. Here is what you can check:
- Check Your Connection Speed: Make sure your internet is well within the recommended specs. If your connection speed is within these boundaries then you are good to go.
- Download Speed: 7.5 Mbps
- Recommended Upload Speed: 1 Mbps
- Minimum Upload Speed: 0.5 Mbps
- Check the Network Ports: You will also need to make sure if the following ports are open or not. GTA Online uses these ports to connect you to its servers. Therefore, having even one closed can cause major issues.
- You can check the port numbers on your PC by opening the command prompt as administrator.
- Type netstat -ab and hit enter.
- Now, match the ports from below.
Ultimately, you can troubleshoot these issues using this guide. If your issue is hardware specific, then you should try contacting the customer support. If this error is rare for you then forcing the game to save is the most reliable quick fix available.
However, if you are facing constant issues while saving your game then it is worth implementing a permanent fix. We have mentioned both of them to cater for your specific requirements.