Tancred, Master of Castigations is one of the harder bosses in all of Lords of the Fallen. The fight gets even more challenging with the addition of the second boss right after Tancred, i.e. Reinhold the Immured. Both of these bosses are a menace with completely different attack patterns. He is an optional boss if you are going for the Umbral Ending.
In this article, we will go over what the boss attacks are and some tips and tricks on how to defeat the him.
Fighting Tancred, Master of Castigations, and Reinhold the Immured
Tancred, Master of Castigations is yet another two-in-one boss fight. Once you kill off Tancred, which is no easy feat by the way, you have to then face Reinhold the Immured. You will only be rewarded after you have taken out Reinhold.
Both of the bosses are quite distinct. Tancred uses Holy spells, a giant halberd, and a shield to fight while Reinhold is an evil-looking monstrosity that uses erratic movements and attacks that spew lava, inflicting Burn status effects.
The fight against Tancred, Master of Castigations and Reinhold the Immured in Lords of the Fallen can be made easy if you prepare for it and know the following:
- Tancred inflicts both Smite and Bleed hence you should stock up on cures for both these status effects.
- Reinhold inflicts Burn so bring some cures for that too.
- Tancred is weak to Umbral Magic. Umbral weapons and spells will surely exploit this chink in his armor.
- Forget using Fire damage weapons and spells against these bosses. They both are resistant to this damage type.
- Bring along a good selection of ranged weapons for Reinhold.
- We recommend you summon either Pieta or Iron Wayfarer for this fight. Pieta can heal you while Wayfarer is more tankier.
Tancred, Master of Castigations
Tancred comes packing with a huge halberd and a shield in the other hand. You can parry his attacks but the weapon inflicts Bleed upon impact, so it’s best to dodge than block. His weapon has insane reach, which might catch you off guard.
The boss also deals a ton of Holy Damage with the plethora of spells at his disposal. All of these particular attacks also cause Smite buildup. You should do everything that you can to not let it proc otherwise, it could spell disastrous for you.
The boss likes to put up his shield to block many of your attacks so having a friend to distract him while you whale at him from the exposed backside is a good strategy.
Here are all of Tancred, Master of Castigations’ attacks and the right way of maneuvering them:
- Halberd Thrust: He extends the halberd out to thrust it in you. He also does this attack after a lunge.
- Reaction: Dodge to the side.
- Halberd Combo: Performs a series of Halberd swings.
- Reaction: Block this combo and quickly move to deal some damage to recover your Withered HP.
- Shield Thrust: Bashes the shield towards you.
- Reaction: Dodge back or sideways.
- Shield Strike: Pulls back with the shield and smashes the ground in front, shattering the landing spot.
- Reaction: Identify the pull-back wind-up and get out of dodge.
- Overhead Halberd Strike: Perfoms a might overhead strikes and shatters the ground in front.
- Reaction: When you see the weapon over his head, bail; otherwise, the shattering will get you.
- Charge: He runs up to you and then performs a melee strike.
- Reaction: You will see the attack coming when he starts running. Parry/ block this attack or dodge away.
- Holy Orb: Summons an orb that fires multiple Holy projectiles at you. The projectiles are homing.
- Reaction: Start circling the boss until the orb dissipates.
- Beam: Charges his halberd with Holy light and sends out a massive beam.
- Reaction: Dodge to the side when the beam is fired and quickly get close to him to get some hits in while he is busy firing.
- Holy AOE: Punches the ground and sends out a 360 wave of Holy.
- Reaction: Dodge towards the boss right when the wave is about to hit you.
Reinhold the Immured
When Tancred is dead, a cutscene will play where he shoves his halberd in his head, allowing his vile brother to take hold i.e. Reinhold the Immured.
Reinhold is a contorting fiend on all fours who likes to leap around, smashing you upon landing. His melee attack deals fire damage. He is a fast guy but isn’t that high-flying meaning you could easily range him down if only you can avoid his leap and ranged attacks.
His long-ranged attacks include Burn inflicting lava balls and even puking out pools of lava every now and then. Needless to say, you should avoid standing in those pools or else you’ll burn.
Even his leaping attacks spread lava on landing and tend to linger for a few seconds.
The majority of his forward thrusting attacks can be negated if you stand near his hind legs. He will try to catch you with some leap attacks or jumping to the other side of the arena but stick to his butt and you’ll be fine.
Ranged attacks are extremely viable during this phase. His distance-covering attacks are few, giving you ample time to lob as many spells/ammunitions at him.
Here are all of Reinhold the Immured’s attacks and the right way of maneuvering them:
- Swipe: Extends his front legs to swipe horizontally. He can even chain them.
- Reaction: Dodge into the swipes and lay into him.
- Slam: Stands on two feet and slams his body on the ground.
- Reaction: When he’s about to stand, move away from him.
- Stomp: Uses his limbs to stomp the ground. He can also buff this attack with fire.
- Reaction: Dodge back.
- Charge: Runs up to you and headbutts you to the ground.
- Reaction: He runs straight during this attack so moving out of his will see him fly by you.
- Leap: Jumps in the air and either tries to land on you or away from you. He can also buff this attack with fire and leave behind a pool of lava where he lands.
- Reaction: Dodge towards him and he will go right above you. Watch out for the lava pool.
- Flamethrower: Fires a stream of magma that goes a long distance.
- Reaction: Dodge to the side and move towards him to attack.
- Scream: Sends out a scream with a shockwave that knocks you over.
- Reaction: Run to the other side, out of the reach of the shockwave.
- Fire Projectile: Fires a magma ball from his mouth. The ball will leave a pool of lava on the ground.
- Reaction: Dodge to the side and stay away from the pool of lava.
Here are all the rewards for defeating Tancred and Reinhold in Lords of the Fallen. Do keep in mind that you need to defeat Reinhold the Immured before you are rewarded. Only defeating Tancred, Master of Castigations won’t give you anything:
- x1 Vestige Seed
- x1 Tancred’s Key
- x8 Umbral Scouring
Revisit the boss location and Soulflay the Stigma left behind to get your hands on the Remembrance of Tancred Master of Castigations and Reinhold the Immured and 2 Umbral Scouring. Take the Remembrance to Molhu to unlock these items in his shop:
- Tancred’s Shield
- Tancred’s Mancatcher
- Tancred’s Gauntlets
- Tancred’s Armour
- Tancred’s Helm
- Tancred’s Leggings
- Infernal Eruption
- Radiant Guardian
Tancred, Master of Castigations, and Reinhold the Immured are already hard on their own but the fact they are part of the same boss encounter makes this fight even more harrowing. You just have to be patient and learn their moves otherwise you will get frustrated.