When it comes to Infusing weapons in Dark Souls 3, if you don’t know what you are doing, you could waste very rare items. You need to know what each item does so that you are prepared to choose the correct one once you finally get around to Infusing your gear. Don’t get too overwhelmed with the complication of Infusing because it is actually a very simple process.
To Infuse a piece of gear, you will need a couple of things. You will need to have the specific Gem for the Infusion, some Souls to pay for the cost of the Infusion, and a weapon that allows for Infusion. You might also need a specific Coal found around the world to complete certain Infusions, but if you are doing a basic Infusion, you might not need them.
We will go over every Infusion item and how to get them. We will also give you locations of all the different Coal items needed to complete the rarer Infusions. Don’t be confused because it is actually pretty simple when you know how it works. If you are confused, read the rest of the article to get the necessary information.
What will Infusion do?
If you don’t know already, Infusing your weapon will give it different damage scaling and even elemental damage depending on the specific Infusion. You might get a FIre Gem that places fire damage onto your weapon, but it will decrease your Strength Scaling. There are pros and cons for every single Infusion so make sure you read what each one does.
Infusions might not be the best option for you so you really need to look at what each of them does. You might Infuse your weapon and lose a bunch of damage on it because you did the wrong Infusion. If anything, you can either use a Sharp Gem or a Raw Gem for an Infusion that basically has no downsides to it. It is totally up to you.
How to Infuse your weapons?
To Infuse your gear, all you have to do is talk to Andre the Blacksmith. He will have an option for Infusions within his menu and just click Infusions. Once you are in, you will see all the Infusions you have access to. To get access to all the Infusions in the game you will need to find all the Coals in the game. They aren’t hard to find, but some are towards the end of the game.
Once you get these Coals, you can take them back to Andre and give them to him. Once you have done that, he will unlock more Infusions within his shop. Once you get the specific Gem you want, complete the Infusion by spending some Souls. You don’t need Coals to Infuse everything, but they are necessary for certain Infusions.
Here are the different Coals you will need to complete a bunch of Infusions:
Location: At the Halfway Fortress bonfire where you first meet Anri and Horace go down and drop down from the ledges on the right side, keep going straight along the right wall and enter a doorway in the end. Turn left and you will see a Black Knight guarding a few bodies, the body at the end of the hall holds the coal.
This is the first Coal you will come across and it can be missed if you aren’t careful. You can always come back, but it is not on the main path. You will need to drop into the Crucifixion Woods after you get it, but you can use a Homeward Bone to get back to the Firelink Shrine if you don’t want to enter a new area yet.
It is basically found in the area near where you neet Anri and Horace and it is relatively easy to find. Once you get it, take it back to Andre and it will give you access to 3 more Infusions.
Location: From the first bonfire in Farron Keep, follow the left side until you reach a small structure guarded by a Darkwraith. The coal is on a body inside this structure.
This is the second Coal you will come across. It is probably the most annoying to get on this list because you do need to trek through Farron Keep for it. If you haven’t gone to Farron Keep, it is a giant poison pool that you have to wade through to get farther into the game.
It is not optional. Once you get the Coal, make sure to bring it back to Andre and it will give you access to 3 more Infusions. If you are having trouble in Farron Keep, take some moss with you that will eliminate the poison damage, it will help.
Location: In a room adjacent to the one with the 6 jailers in the Irithyll Dungeon.
This is the third Coal you will come across, but what makes this one annoying is the fact that it is in the Irithyll Dungeon. This place is full of very annoying Jailers that just drain your health. This place is extremely difficult if you don’t know how to combat the enemies there.
If you explore the Dungeon and find the room with 6 Jailers, the Coal is in the adjacent room to that one. It also gives you access to 3 more Infusions once you give it to Andre. This is honestly the coolest-looking Coal in the game.
Location: On a Giant’s corpse in Anor Londo. From the bonfire, go up the stairs and turn left inside the building.
This is the final Coal you will find and it is extremely easy to get. Once you are in Anor Londo, go up the stairs and take a right. The first door will have a GIant laying on the ground. The Coal will be on the body.
If you didn’t know, this is the Giant from Dark Souls 1 if you ever got to this area. He is obviously dead in this game, unfortunately. Once you get the Coal, give it to Andre and you will get access to the final 3 Infusions.
What do you need to Infuse your weapons?
To Infuse your weapons, you will need basically one thing. You will need the specific Gem for the Infusion you want. Certain Gems are harder to find, but the Infusion is definitely worth the effort. Once you find a Gem, you can take it back to Andre to see if you can use it to Infuse your gear.
Keep in mind that certain Infusions are locked behind The Coals you take back to Andre. If you want access to all the Infusions in the game, you will need to have the specific Coals as well as the Gems you need. We have made a list of every Gem, where to find them, and what Coals you need to complete the Infusion.
Here are all the items you can use to Infuse your weapons and what they do in Dark Souls 3:
Refined Gem (No Coal Needed)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Adds Strength and Dexterity Scaling.
This is a Gem that you will want if you want to add scaling to your weapon. It will decrease the base damage of the weapon but will increase the scaling. It seems like a bad thing, but the more points you have in Dexterity and Strength, the higher damage your weapon will deal. It is an all-around great Gem for most players.
- 1x guaranteed drop per NG from the Red Eyed Blue Knight to the left of the entrance to Emma at her church in High Wall of Lothric.
- 1x on a Corpse, in the midst of the blaze, beneath the two dragons who spew fire in Lothric Castle, near the Dragon Barracks bonfire.
- 1x from a crystal lizard on the room in Grand Archives.
- 3x sold by the Shrine Handmaid after giving her the Captain’s Ashes.
- Rare drop from Cathedral Grave Warden in Untended Graves.
- Rare drop from Lothric Knights in Lothric Castle.
- 1x can drop from the Red Eyed Knight in Grand Archives. From the bonfire, go in the opposite way to the grand archives, you can find a tougher knight with a sword.
Raw Gem (No Coal Needed)
Infusion: Increases Base Damage. Removes Scaling.
This is a Gem that is recommended to people who have a pure Strength build. You can basically keep your Strength at the soft-cap of 40-45 and have this Infusion on your weapon. This will give it the most damage possible for whatever weapon you are using. It is not recommended for everyone to do this, but it is a very good Infusion.
- Very rare drop from Hollow Soldiers in High Wall of Lothric and Farron Keep.
- Rare drop from Hollow Soldiers in Lothric Castle.
- Rare drop from Large Hollow Soldiers.
- 1x drops from a Crystal Lizard, on the roof with the praying hollows, near the second bonfire in High Wall of Lothric.
- 1x on a Corpse to the left from the bridge in Lothric Castle.
Fire Gem (No Coal Needed)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Removes Scaling. Adds Fire Damage.
This is a Gem that actually reduces your base damage. You can get this Gem pretty early on and it is a good Infusion. It lowers your damage, but it deals fire damage in its place. It is one of the most fun Infusions you can do if you are willing to take the reduced damage for the fire damage. It is a very fun Infusion if you want to try it out.
- Can be chosen as a Burial Gift when creating your character.
- 1x drops from the Fire Demon that Siegward of Catarina helps to defeat in Undead Settlement.
- Rare drop from the Smoldering Rotten Flesh and Ghru Shamans in Smouldering Lake.
- Rare drop from the enemies in the Undead Settlement.
Heavy Gem (Farron Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Adds Strength Scaling.
This is a Gem that is also very good if you have a pure Strength build. It is recommended that you take off the Raw Gem if you have that Infusion on and put this one on. It will do what the Raw Gem did but better. It is a little bit difficult to obtain, but once you get the Farron Coal and the Gem, make sure to take advantage of this Infusion.
- 1x from a Crystal Lizard, down in the ravine near the open sewer entrance in Undead Settlement.
- 1x from a Crystal Lizard, near the dead dragon at the top of the Old Wolf of Farron bonfire in Farron Keep.
- Drops from normal hollows in The High Wall of Lothric.
- Rare drops from the Elder Ghru in the poison swamp of Farron Keep.
- Rare drops from slugs in the poison swamp of Farron Keep.
- Rare drops from Ghru and Ghru Conjurators in Farron Keep.
Sharp Gem (Farron Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Adds Dexterity Scaling.
This is a Gem that you should use if you have a Dexterity build. It is basically the same thing as the previous Gem but it is for a totally different build. It actually has some insane scaling with the Infusion and it is definitely worth the time to get it. If you have a Dexterity build, don’t hesitate to use this Infusion. After this Gem, this is where the Infusions get complicated.
- 1x found behind an illusory wall in Catacombs of Carthus.
- 1x from a Crystal Lizard, near the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire in Undead Settlement.
- 1x from a Crystal Lizard on the rooftops in The Grand Archives.
- Most commonly drops from both talon and rapier crows in Painted World of Ariandel DLC.
Poison Gem (Farron Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Poison Damage.
This is a Gem is definitely one of the most unique Infusions because it lets your weapon deal poison damage. This is a good element to fight against most enemies with so it is an all-around great Infusion to make. The downside to this is that it reduces your damage in all other areas. It sucks, but poison is a good element to make that sacrifice with.
- Rare drop from Rotten Slugs, Ghru Grunts, and Elder Ghru in Farron Keep.
- 1x found on the corpse guarded by three Elder Ghru to the left of the Keep Ruins bonfire.
- 1x found in the toxic swamp, inside the cave, in Profaned Capital.
Crystal Gem (Sage’s Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Intelligence Scaling. Adds Magic Damage
This is a Gem you want to use if you have a Mage build. You don’t have to have one, but most Mage builds have a melee weapon with this Infusion on it. It is mainly used with Mage builds because of its increase with the Intelligence scaling. You already have Intelligence leveled up already if you are a Mage, so it is the perfect combination.
- 1x dropped by a Crystal Lizard, in the broken building before the Crystal Sage, in Road of Sacrifices.
- 1x dropped by the first Crystal Lizard the player encounters in the Grand Archives.
- 1x dropped by a Giant Crab near the Depths of the Painting bonfire.
- Rare drop from the Grand Archives Scholars and the Hollow Slaves in the Grand Archives.
Blessed Gem (Sage’s Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Faith Scaling. Adds HP recovery.
This is a Gem that is very similar to the previous Gem, but it is good for the Faith stat. If you have a Miracle build, you will already have points in Faith. This Gem makes your melee weapon scale with Faith and it is an all-around great Infusion. It does reduce base damage and scaling, but you won’t have points in that anyway.
- 1x found on the roof area in the Cathedral of the Deep.
- 1x drops from the Winged Knight in the courtyard near the fountain in the High Wall of Lothric.
- 1x can be found at the very top of Lothric Castle, dropping in a hole in the area upstairs at the opposing side of the big bridge leading to Lorian and Lothric room.
- 1x can be obtained from trading the Moaning Shield to the Crow’s nest on the roof of the Firelink Shrine.
Deep Gem (Sage’s Coal Required)
Infusion: Removes Scaling. Reduces Base Damage. Adds Dark Damage.
This is a Gem that makes your weapon deal Dark Damage. This is good because it can actually be Infused with a shield to give you increased defense. Not only can Gems be used with weapons, but they can be placed on shields. It, unfortunately, can’t be placed on armor though. I mean, who doesn’t want their sword to deal Dark damage, it is insanely cool.
- 1x found in the large open room before the encounter with the first Giant in the Cathedral of the Deep.
- 1x on a body in the Water Reserve bonfire room.
- Rare drop from the Thralls in the Cathedral of the Deep.
- Rare drop from the Deacons in Cathedral of the Deep, Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, and Anor Londo.
Dark Gem (Profaned Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Faith and Intelligence Scaling. Adds Dark Damage.
This is a Gem That is great for a mixed Mage build. It will boost the scaling for Faith and Intelligence which makes for an all-around good Infusion if you use both Sorceries and Miracles. It does reduce the base stats, but the scaling makes up for all the cons with the Infusion. It also adds Dark Damage to your weapon for an extra bonus.
- 1x drops from the second rolling “boulder” in Catacombs of Carthus once you defeat the hat-wearing skeleton.
- 1x under the left set of stairs leading up to the courtyard full of knights just before the boss room in the Consumed King’s Garden.
- 1x is found on a corpse surrounded by baby locusts at the entrance of the giant swamp in The Ringed City DLC.
Blood Gem (Profaned Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Bleed Damage.
This is a Gem that has the coolest look to it than any other Gem in the game. If you have played Elden Ring, you would know how overpowered Bleed damage is. In Dark Souls 3, it is not as good, but it definitely is worth using for at least one playthrough. Overall, this is a great Infusion if you want to deal damage passively to any enemy.
- Rare drop from Irithyllian Slaves near the Church of Yorksha Bonfire.
- 1x by a tree after the Church of Yorshka bonfire in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. Drop down the ledge to the right after the dark room filled with the Irithyllian Slaves.
- 1x found at the bottom of the rotted basement of Ariandel Chapel, guarded by numerous Giant Flies.
Hollow Gem (Profaned Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Luck Scaling. Luck Stat When Hollow.
This is a Gem that looks exactly what your body does if you are a Hollow. The boost that this Infusion gives only activates if you have gone down the Hollow side quest. Turning Hollow in this game doesn’t actually do anything since both Dark Souls 1 and 2 had downsides to it. It basically increases your Luck stat when you are Hollow.
- Rare drop from the Corvian Storytellers on the Road of Sacrifices.
- Rare drop from the Lothric Thieves in The Ringed City DLC.
- 1x near the Farron Keep Perimeter bonfire, there is a hole in the wall, with a corpse holding a Hollow Gem.
- 1x on a body in the Grand Archives. Drop onto the rooftop after the first Gargoyle and it will be in the area.
Lightning Gem (Giant’s Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Faith Scaling. Adds Lightning Damage.
This is a Gem if you want to add Lightning damage to your weapon. It scales insanely well with Faith and it makes for a great Infusion for those who don’t need that Dexterity and Strength Scaling. It also gives your weapon a very cool Lightning aura when you have it out as well. Plus, you don’t need to waste Gold Pine Resin for Lightning damage.
- 1x at the end of the main road before the altar, near the Church of Yorshka, in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley.
- 1x obtained trading the Xanthous Crown with Pickle Pee.
- Rare drop from the larger enemies near the Nameless King encounter in Archdragon Peak.
- Very rare drop from smaller enemies throughout Archdragon Peak.
Simple Gem (Giant’s Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Intelligence Scaling. Adds Magic Damage. Adds FP Recovery.
This is a Gem that is amazing for Sorcery users. Not only does it boost Intelligence scaling on your weapon, but it slowly restores your FP bar. It is great if you don’t want to waste any of your Ashen Estus Flasks. It is slow, but it does help. It also adds Magic damage for those who want that extra boost when you already have the Intelligence stat leveled.
- 1x in the Irithyll Dungeon on a corpse across the bridge, immediately on the left when going down the stairs. Next to 3 jailers and some cage spiders.
- Rare drop from Jailers in Irithyll Dungeon.
- 1x dropped by the crystal lizard above Pontiff Sulyvahn bonfire.
Chaos Gem (Giant’s Coal Required)
Infusion: Reduces Base Damage. Reduces Strength and Dexterity Scaling. Adds Faith and Intelligence Scaling. Adds Fire Damage.
This is a Gem that is very similar to the Fire Gem. It adds fire damage to your weapon, but it adds Faith and Intelligence scaling to it. It is the perfect weapon for Mage builds since you will already have those stats leveled up. It is just like the Fire Gem but it adds some insanely good scaling rather than just adding the fire damage. It is a great Infusion.
- 1x on a corpse at the far end of the Smouldering Lake, near the left group of big crabs.
- 1x dropped by the Crystal Lizard at the start of Demon Ruins, down the hole in Smouldering Lake. Drop down and go left around a corner.
- 1x dropped by the Crystal Lizard in the Grand Archives. From the bonfire follow the path forward until a dark room with 2 lizards that run up the movable stairs. It is the closest lizard to you, on the left.