There are a ton of weapons to use in Dark Souls 3, and most of them are pretty unique. Whether they are small Daggers or large Swords, there is soo much room for experimentation in the game. You can literally play however you want to no matter who you are so if someone tells you that there isn’t replayability in the game, they obviously haven’t played much of it.
Titanite Shards are one of the main sources for upgrades in Dark Souls 3. There are only 3 ways that you are able to farm and get Titanite Shards. You can defeat specific enemies, purchase them from the Shrine Handmaid, or find them around the world. There are plenty to find so you probably won’t have to worry too much about using them to upgrade multiple weapons.
If you need any more than how many you already have, then we can say that there are over 30 Titanite Shards that you can find laying around. All the rest have an unlimited supply of them, but it is relatively difficult to obtain them at a steady pace. You will only need 12 Shards in total to get one weapon to +3.
What are Titanite Shards?
If you don’t know what these Titanite Shards are used for, they pretty much upgrade your weapons to +3. You will need a total of 12 Shards to even get the weapon to +3, but once you do, you will need a new type of material. There are 3 more higher-tier upgrade materials that we aren’t going over in this article.
Basically, you will need 12 Large Titanite Shards to get your weapon to +6. You will then need 12 Titanite Chunks to get it to +9. From there, you will only need 1 Titanite Slab to complete your weapon upgrades for a +10. There are other upgrade materials like Twinkling Titanite and Titanite Scales for boss weapons and Special weapons.
Each one is extremely important and it is relatively confusing if you are new to the series. It works the same way as it does in the previous games, so if you know how those games work, you will definitely understand this one.
How to farm Titanite Shards
As we said before, there are only 3 ways to get Titanite Shards legit. If you are having trouble getting them from enemies, we do have a detailed list of Titanite Shard locations at the bottom of the article. It can be a little confusing, but once you get a bunch of Titanite Shards, you don’t really have to deal with finding them anymore. You can pretty much upgrade all the weapons you want.
We will go over each method and how you can maximize farming from each one. When it comes to percentages with certain enemies, it can get a bit confusing at times though, so keep that in mind. If you do get Titanite Shards early, make sure to save them until you find the weapon you want to upgrade.
If you don’t, you will be stuck with a weapon that you might not like too much. This is especially annoying if the enemies are faster than your weapon. If the enemies are faster, you will get hit more often. The game isn’t difficult if you know what to do and have patience with fights in the game.
Here are the 3 main ways to farm Titanite Shards in Dark Souls 3:
1. Drops from specific enemies
There are a bunch of enemies in the game that drop Titanite Shards. The only downside to this is that it isn’t a guaranteed drop for the Shards themselves. Some of them have a 10% chance to drop and others have a 100% chance to drop. It just depends on the enemy you are fighting. Obviously, the farther you get into the game, the higher the chance they will drop.
Probably the best spot to farm for these Titanite Shards are the enemies in the Smouldering Lake. There are a ton of enemy types there and they all have a chance to drop them. If you are going to farm enemies, this is probably your best bet when it comes to getting them quicker than others. If you are looking for a lot of them, buying them might be the better option.
Here is a list of all the enemies that drop Titanite Shards:
- Winged Knights – Usually found in the High Wall of Lothric or Lothric Castle
- Evangelists – Usually found in the Undead Settlement
- Hollow Manservants – Usually found in the Undead Settlement
- Hollows – Usually found in the High Wall of Lothric, Undead Settlement, and the Road of Sacrifices
- Silver Knights – Usually found in the Irithyll of the Boreal Valley or Anor Londo
- Smouldering Lake enemies – These are the enemies found all over the Smouldering Lake area
- Red-eyed Skeletons – These are the Red-eyed Skeletons found in the Catacombs of Carthus
2. Purchasable from Shrine Handmaid
They are purchasable from the Shrine Handmaid for 800 Souls, but you need to find an item first. If you don’t know, you can find Ashes around the world that you can give to the Handmaid and it will actually increase the stock from her shop. You need to find either the Dreamchaser’s Ashes or the Gravewarden’s Ashes and give them to her.
Once you do that, she will sell you Titanite Shards for 800 Souls a piece. This is probably the best way to get them since she has an unlimited number of them to sell to you. As long as you have the Souls, she will sell them to you. You only need 12 Titanite Shards per weapon so you will only need 9,600 Souls per weapon for +3.
3. Found around the world
The only other way to get Titanite Shards is to find them around the world. Keep in mind that we are only talking about Titanite Shards, not the higher-tiered upgrade materials. There are 6 areas that have Titanite Shards within them and you can find around 30 Titanite Shards in total. Any other ones you get you either have to purchase or farm for.
You can find Titanite Shards in the High Wall of Lothric, Undead Settlement, Road of Sacrifices, Farron Keep, Cathedral of the Deep, and the Catacombs of Carthus. Any other area in the game will have the higher-tiered upgrade materials. If you are wondering about the locations for these materials, we put a list of all the different Titanite Shard locations below.
Here are all the areas where Titanite Shards are found:
- High Wall of Lothric
- 1x Go right from the first bonfire. Killing the transforming enemy at the top of the tower drops 1x Titanite and 1x Ember.
- 1x In a corner near the second bonfire.
- 1x Dropped by the transforming enemy after the second bonfire.
- 1x In a room below the roof that has the transforming enemy.
- 1x Underneath the staircase in the room with the Cell Key and Estus Shard.
- Undead Settlement
- 1x On the porch of a house ahead of the burning tree with worshipping undead. The tree is to the left of the Undead Settlement bonfire, past the house filled with hanging corpses.
- 1x On a bridge with an Evangelist enemy on it. This is on the way to the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire while coming from the Undead Settlement bonfire.
- 1x Behind a stone wall, on a hidden side path, right in front of the bridge with the Evangelist, near the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire.
- 1x Beneath the small stone bridge where you drop down to reach the hidden Cliff Underside bonfire.
- 2x Side by side, down in the ravine by the open sewer entrance.
- Road of Sacrifices
- 1x on a corpse down on a cavern path in the lower chambers of the area.
- 1x on a corpse surrounded by several mushroom enemies in the woods.
- 1x on a corpse in the swamp, near a dog and a digging hollow.
- 1x on a corpse after you pass the first storyteller enemy as you circle back up the higher path in the cave with 2 enemies.
- Farron Keep
- 1x at the base of the stairs before the first candle.
- 1x near a large fire on an island, after the Keep Ruins bonfire, and before the third candle.
- 1x in the swamp, near the Nameless Knight armor, and just before the third candle.
- Cathedral of the Deep
- 1x on a path on the left-hand side, before the first set of stairs after the Cathedral of the Deep bonfire.
- 1x on a corpse, where the giant worm enemies are with the giant crystal lizard. to the far right up the small hill where there’s access to jump down to the Cleansing Chapel bonfire.
- 1x on a corpse, on a plateau with gravestones, near the giant crystal lizard.
- 1x on a corpse behind a tree, where the giant worms are after 2 crystal lizards if you have come from the right.
- 1x on a corpse, at the entrance to the first shortcut above the birch tree graveyard.
- Catacombs of Carthus
- 2x on a body just down the set of stairs after crossing the bridge, the body will be to the left. Guarded by a large skeleton.
- 2x on a body, in the room filled with the bone wheel enemies, just below the second bonfire.
- 2x on a body in the same room as previous shards, but in the hallway with the bone wheels.
Why should I stock up on Titanite Shards?
There are plenty of Titanite Shards in the game to allow for a ton of upgrades. If you want to try out a new weapon and you don’t want to spend a ton of upgrade materials on it, you can purchase 12 Titanite Shards from the Handmaid for 9,600 Souls. You can then go back to an easy area and test out the weapon.
It is totally up to you, but we would highly recommend purchasing a ton of them from the Shrine Handmaid so you have them for the future. You are definitely going to need them for upgrades, so try to stock up on as many as you can get. Go farm enemies, purchase them, or explore the world to find them. No matter how you do it, you will find what you are looking for.