Throughout the years, Minecraft has shown us why it deserves the praise it gets. From unique open-world bosses to state-of-the-art building mechanics, it’s only natural for gamers to go for the title.
While Minecraft is behind a paywall, you only need to pay once and the game will be yours to keep forever unless Microsoft decides to make an oopsie.
If you already own a purchased license of Minecraft, then you don’t need to purchase it repeatedly. Simply head to the Microsoft Store and download the game. Consequently, the same can be done on other platforms as well.
That being said, each and every platform have its own way of downloading Minecraft. Furthermore, there are certain download restrictions in-between platforms that you should adhere to.
Do You Have To Buy Minecraft On All Platforms?
Before getting on with the download instructions, let’s get the main elephant out of the room. Yes, you have to purchase Minecraft on different platforms. While the game supports cross-platform play, it’s still considered a standalone version on a specific platform.
Therefore, you will have to purchase Minecraft again if you want to migrate from something like a PC to a PS4 or vice versa. With that being said, a re-download on the same platform does not warrant purchasing it again.
Downloading Minecraft: Bedrock Edition
As mentioned, each platform comes with its own unique set of methodologies. While the demands can vary, you are ultimately getting the same Minecraft you’ve come to love. Therefore, let’s see how the download process works on different platforms.
Minecraft on Android
The download steps for the android version of Minecraft are as follows:
- Open the Google Play Store from all applications and search for Minecraft in the search bar.
- Locate the Minecraft application published by Mojang and press the Install button.
- Once the APK has finished installing, a game icon will pop up in all applications. Simply open it and the game will launch.
Minecraft on iOS
The download steps for the iOS version are quite similar to Android. With that said, here is how you can download Minecraft on your iPhone and iPad:
- Open the App Store and search for Minecraft in the search bar.
- Locate the Minecraft application and press the Install button.
Once the setup has finished downloading and installing, you will be able to play Minecraft from the all apps section.
Minecraft on Nintendo Switch
The Nintendo Switch environment needs little to no configurations to download games since the platform is meant for gamers. That being said, here is how you can download Minecraft on it:
- Head to the Nintendo eShop application from the home screen of your device and press on it.
- Once opened, search for Minecraft and tap on it.
- Press the Install button and wait for the process to finish.
Once the game has been installed, simply head back to the game section to find Minecraft present there, enjoy!
Minecraft on Xbox
The process is the same for all versions of Xbox, so there is no need to search the internet for standalone guides on this. In spite of this, here is how you can download Minecraft on Xbox consoles:
- Open the guide by pressing the Xbox button on your controller.
- From there, head to My games & apps and select See all.
- This list will contain all the games you own. If Minecraft has not been installed, then you can simply press select the title in order to receive a prompt about installing the game.
- Click ok, and wait for the game to install.
Minecraft on PlayStation
Similar to the Xbox version, the game can be downloaded on the supported generations of the console by using the following method:
- Head to the PlayStation Store and search for Minecraft.
- Once found, hit the Install button and wait for the download to finish.
After that, you can simply head back to your game library in order to play Minecraft.
Minecraft on Windows
In order to download Minecraft on Windows, you need to sign in to the same account you purchased Minecraft on. After that, simply follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the start menu and search for Microsoft Store.
- Once opened, click on the three dots next to your profile in order to open the options.
- From there, select My library and find Minecraft.
- Click on the title and press Install.
While there are multiple third-party methods of downloading the Bedrock Edition, the official one still seems to be a cut above the rest. Your Minecraft experience will go as smooth as it possibly can unless you want to download the cursed Minecraft Launcher as well.
Downloading Minecraft: Java Edition
Unlike the Bedrock Edition, the Java version is not available on multiple platforms. Its reach is limited to the following:
Fortunately, the download process of all three operating systems is rather similar in nature. With that said, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Open the official Minecraft website and log in with your Microsoft account credentials.
- From the list of available versions, chose the one for your platform and hit download.
- Once the file has been downloaded, install it according to your operating system. For example, the Windows version might give you an installer that can be run to perform a one-time install for Minecraft. Whereas, the .dmg file on the macOS will only require a simple drag and drop.
Needless to say, you will be able to play the game as soon as the installation process is finished. Consequently, the Java version is known for its newer updates and mod integrations. Therefore, we recommend you try them out if you get the chance.
All in all, Minecraft is a paid game. Therefore, you will need to purchase it once. After that, re-downloading it is free as long as you hold access to the account you purchased it from. Therefore, make sure to keep it safe, unless you want to pay for Minecraft once again.