When it comes to upgrading your weapons, you will need a ton of upgrade materials. This means trying to find every way possible to get as many of these materials as you possibly can. The next upgrade material that you need after the Titanite Shard is the Large Titanite Shard. These are a bit harder to get, but it is still very easy if you know how to get them.
Large Titanite Shards are one of the main sources for upgrades in Dark Souls 3. There are only 3 ways that you are able to farm and get Large Titanite Shards. You can defeat specific enemies, purchase them from the Shrine Handmaid, or find them around the world. There are plenty to find so you probably won’t have to worry too much about using them to upgrade multiple weapons.
If you need any more than how many you already have, then we can say that there are over 30 Titanite Shards that you can find laying around. All the rest have an unlimited supply of them, but it is relatively difficult to obtain them at a steady pace. You will only need 12 Shards in total to get one weapon to +6.
What are Large Titanite Shards?
If you don’t know what these Large Titanite Shards are used for, they pretty much upgrade your weapons to +6. You will need a total of 12 Shards to even get the weapon to +6, but once you do, you will need a new type of material. There are 2 more higher-tier upgrade materials that we aren’t going over in this article.
You will then need 12 Titanite Chunks to get it to +9. From there, you will only need 1 Titanite Slab to complete your weapon upgrades for a +10. There are other upgrade materials like Twinkling Titanite and Titanite Scales for boss weapons and Special weapons.
Each one is extremely important and it is relatively confusing if you are new to the series. It works the same way as it does in the previous games, so if you know how those games work, you will definitely understand this one.
How to farm Large Titanite Shards
As we said before, there are only 3 ways to get Large Titanite Shards legit. If you are having trouble getting them from enemies, we do have a detailed list of Large Titanite Shard locations at the bottom of the article. It can be a little confusing, but once you get a bunch of Large Titanite Shards, you don’t really have to deal with finding them anymore. You can pretty much upgrade all the weapons you want.
We will go over each method and how you can maximize farming from each one. When it comes to percentages with certain enemies, it can get a bit confusing at times though, so keep that in mind. If you do get Large Titanite Shards early, make sure to save them until you find the weapon you want to upgrade.
If you don’t, you will be stuck with a weapon that you might not like too much. This is especially annoying if the enemies are faster than your weapon. If the enemies are faster, you will get hit more often. The game isn’t difficult if you know what to do and have patience with fights in the game.
Here are the 3 main ways to farm Titanite Shards in Dark Souls 3:
1. Drops from specific enemies
There are a bunch of enemies in the game that drop Large Titanite Shards. The only downside to this is that it isn’t a guaranteed drop for the Shards themselves. Some of them have a 10% chance to drop and others have a 100% chance to drop. It just depends on the enemy you are fighting. Obviously, the farther you get into the game, the higher the chance they will drop.
Probably the best spot to farm for these Large Titanite Shards are the enemies in Irithyll of the Boreal Valley. There are a ton of enemy types there and they all have a chance to drop them. If you are going to farm enemies, this is probably your best bet when it comes to getting them quicker than others. If you are looking for a lot of them, buying them might be the better option.
Here is a list of all the enemies that drop Large Titanite Shards:
- Red-Eyed Knights – Usually found in Lothric Castle
- Winged Knight – Usually found in Lothric Castle
- Fire Witches – Usually found in the courtyard area of Irithryll of the Boreal Valley
- Silver Knights – Usually found in Anor Londo
- Giant Crabs – Usually found around the Demon Ruins area
- Large Skeletons – Usually found in the Catacombs of Carthus
- Smouldering Lake enemies – These are the enemies found all over the Smouldering Lake area
- Ascended Winged Knight Trio – Found on the roof of the Grand Archives
2. Purchasable from Shrine Handmaid
They are purchasable from the Shrine Handmaid for 4,000 Souls, but you need to find an item first. If you don’t know, you can find Ashes around the world that you can give to the Handmaid and it will actually increase the stock from her shop. You need to find the Easterner’s Ashes and give them to her.
Once you do that, she will sell you Large Titanite Shards for 4,000 Souls a piece. This is probably the best way to get them since she has an unlimited number of them to sell to you. As long as you have the Souls, she will sell them to you. You only need 12 Large Titanite Shards per weapon so you will only need 24,000 Souls per weapon for +6.
3. Found around the world
The only other way to get Large Titanite Shards is to find them around the world. There are 7 areas that have Large Titanite Shards within them and you can find around 37 Large Titanite Shards in total. Any other ones you get you either have to purchase or farm for.
You can find Titanite Shards in the High Wall of Lothric, Farron Keep, Cathedral of the Deep, Catacombs of Carthus, Smouldering Lake, Irithyll of the Boreal Valley, and Irithyll Dungeon. If you are wondering about the locations for these materials, we put a list of all the different Large Titanite Shard locations below.
Here are all the areas where Large Titanite Shards are found:
- High Wall of Lothric
- 1x by damaging the Drake and making it leave the location.
- Farron Keep
- 1x by defeating a Crystal Lizard on the bridge near the dead drake, above the Old Wolf of Farron bonfire.
- 1x by defeating a Crystal Lizard after the first Crystal Lizard past the massive gate on the opposite side of the bridge.
- Cathedral of the Deep
- 2x dropped by the Giants in the giant main room.
- Catacombs of Carthus
- 1x on a corpse near the bonfire, in the dead-end where the boulder turns.
- 1x on a corpse near the bonfire, on the ledge above the rats, at the other end of the path of the boulder.
- Smouldering Lake
- 1x on a corpse below the fire demon, after climbing down the collapsed suspension bridge.
- 2x on two corpses in the lake, in front of the entrance to the location.
- 2x on two corpses in the lake, on the right to the entrance to the location.
- 2x on the corpses in the cave on the right.
- 3x found in Demon Ruins, in a chest behind an illusory wall, near a nest of rats.
- 1x on the edge of the cliff, just outside the Demon Ruins bonfire when you head up the stairs.
- 1x drops from one of the lava crabs.
- Irithyll of the Boreal Valley
- 1x on a corpse atop a short staircase to the right of the path, whilst coming from Central Irithyll bonfire.
- 1x on a corpse hanging on the railing. To the right of the path leading upwards to the fire-casters from the first courtyard with a fountain.
- 1x on a corpse to the right of the bottom of the hidden stairs — Whilst making your way to the Church of Yorshka bonfire from Central Irithyll, to your left up a short staircase you will find a Crystal Lizard. If you attack one of the railings there, you will reveal a hidden staircase down.
- 1x on a corpse by a dead-end, to the right of the main path leading into the big church. It is on the opposite side of the Church of Yorshka bonfire.
- 1x on a corpse next to the elevator shortcut.
- 1x after the elevator shortcut, take the stairs up and at the top, before entering the building, make a left and drop down to a lower platform.
- 1x after the distant manor bonfire heading towards Irithyll dungeon.
- 1x after the Pontiff Sulyvahn fight, proceed forward and outside. Head right to find the shard.
- 1x atop a ledge, that you can see when you are going towards the dead-giants field, coming from the Pontiff Sulyvahn bonfire. You can reach it by going across the field, heading left and up the stairs, and past the fire deacons.
- x1 after pontiff’s bonfire where the giants are located to the right.
- x1 after pontiff’s bonfire to the very far end where you climb the roofs and encounter Anor Londo archers.
- x1 on the far left of the roofs with the Anor Londo archers.
- Irithyll Dungeon
- x1 in the first cell on the left with the screaming hollow.
- x1 where the second screaming hollow is.
- x1 heading towards the 3rd jailer in the far left cell with 3 Hollows inside.
- x1 as you enter the room full of Jailers, it is on the left.
- x2 located where the slumbering Giant and profaned flame is.
Why should I stock up on Large Titanite Shards?
There are plenty of Large Titanite Shards in the game to allow for a ton of upgrades. If you want to try out a new weapon and you don’t want to spend a ton of upgrade materials on it, you can purchase 12 Large Titanite Shards from the Handmaid for 24,000 Souls. You can then go back to a relatively easy area and test out the weapon.
It is totally up to you, but we would highly recommend purchasing a ton of them from the Shrine Handmaid so you have them for the future. You are definitely going to need them for upgrades, so try to stock up on as many as you can get. Go farm enemies, purchase them, or explore the world to find them. No matter how you do it, you will find what you are looking for.