The Titanite Chunk seems like it would be very rare, but it is in fact not that rare at all. You basically need to progress farther into the game and you will get them a whole lot more than the previous upgrade materials. If you are having trouble finding them, hopefully, this article can help you find what you are looking for.
Titanite Chunks are one of the main sources for upgrades in Dark Souls 3. There are only 3 ways that you are able to farm and get Titanite Chunks. You can defeat specific enemies, purchase them from the Shrine Handmaid, or find them around the world. There are plenty to find so you probably won’t have to worry too much about using them to upgrade multiple weapons.
If you need any more than how many you already have, then we can say that there are over 50 Titanite Chunks that you can find laying around. All the rest have an unlimited supply of them, but it is relatively difficult to obtain them at a steady pace. You will only need 12 Shards in total to get one weapon to +9.
What are Titanite Chunks?
If you don’t know what these Titanite Chunks are used for, they pretty much upgrade your weapons to +6. You will need a total of 12 Chunks to even get the weapon to +9, but once you do, you will need a new type of material. There is more higher-tier upgrade material that we aren’t going over in this article.
You will only need 1 Titanite Slab to complete your weapon upgrades for a +10. There are other upgrade materials like Twinkling Titanite and Titanite Scales for boss weapons and Special weapons.
Each one is extremely important and it is relatively confusing if you are new to the series. It works the same way as it does in the previous games, so if you know how those games work, you will definitely understand this one.
How to farm Titanite Chunks
As we said before, there are only 3 ways to get Titanite Chunks legit. If you are having trouble getting them from enemies, we do have a detailed list of Titanite Chunk locations at the bottom of the article. It can be a little confusing, but once you get a bunch of Titanite Chunks, you don’t really have to deal with finding them anymore. You can pretty much upgrade all the weapons you want.
We will go over each method and how you can maximize farming from each one. When it comes to percentages with certain enemies, it can get a bit confusing at times though, so keep that in mind. If you do get Titanite Chunks early, make sure to save them until you find the weapon you want to upgrade.
If you don’t, you will be stuck with a weapon that you might not like too much. This is especially annoying if the enemies are faster than your weapon. If the enemies are faster, you will get hit more often. The game isn’t difficult if you know what to do and have patience with fights in the game.
Here are the 3 main ways to farm Titanite Chunks in Dark Souls 3:
1. Drops from specific enemies
There are a bunch of enemies in the game that drop Titanite Chunks. The only downside to this is that it isn’t a guaranteed drop for the Chunks themselves. Some of them have a 10% chance to drop and others have a 100% chance to drop. It just depends on the enemy you are fighting. Obviously, the farther you get into the game, the higher the chance they will drop.
Probably the best spot to farm for these Titanite Chunks are the enemies in the Grand Archives. There are a ton of enemy types there and they all have a chance to drop them. If you are going to farm enemies, this is probably your best bet when it comes to getting them quicker than others. If you are looking for a lot of them, buying them might be the better option.
Here is a list of all the enemies that drop Titanite Chunks:
- Cathedral Knights – Usually found in the Consumed King’s Garden
- Cathedral Grave Wardens – Usually found in the Untended Graves
- Serpent-man – Usually found in Archdragon Peak
- Lothric Knights – Usually found in the High Wall of Lothric or Lothric Castle
- Ascended Winged Knight Trio – Found on the roof of the Grand Archives
- Corvian Knights – Usually found in the main village in the Painted World of Ariandel
- Ringed Knights – Usually found throughout the whole Ringed City area
- Hollow Slaves – Usually found in Earthen Peak
2. Purchasable from Shrine Handmaid
They are purchasable from the Shrine Handmaid for 13,000 Souls, but you need to find an item first. If you don’t know, you can find Ashes around the world that you can give to the Handmaid and it will actually increase the stock from her shop. You need to find the Dragon Chaser’s Ashes and give them to her.
Once you do that, she will sell you Titanite Chunks for 13,000 Souls a piece. This is probably the best way to get them since she has an unlimited number of them to sell to you. As long as you have the Souls, she will sell them to you. You only need 12 Titanite Chunks per weapon so you will only need 156,000 Souls per weapon for +9.
3. Found around the world
The only other way to get Titanite Chunks is to find them around the world. There are 9 areas that have Titanite Chunks within them and you can find around 50 Titanite Chunks in total. Any other ones you get you either have to purchase or farm for.
You can find Titanite Chunks in the Painted World of Ariandel, Smouldering Lake, Irithyll Dungeon, Consumed King’s Garden, Untended Graves, Archdragon Peak, Lothric Castle, Grand Archives, and the Dreg Heap. If you are wondering about the locations for these materials, we put a list of all the different Titanite Chunks locations below.
Here are all the areas where Titanite Chunks are found:
- Painted World of Ariandel
- 2x in the area just after the Snowy Mountain Pass bonfire.
- Smouldering Lake
- 1x dropped by a Crystal Lizard in a tunnel.
- Irithyll Dungeon
- 1x dropped from the Sleeping Giant.
- 1x from the Crystal Lizard in front of the Sleeping Giant.
- Consumed King’s Garden
- 4x in the area with mutated Hollows before the bonfire.
- Untended Graves
- 2x in the area with the Grave Wardens.
- Archdragon Peak
- 3x one to the left of the castle entrance and one to the right behind a column of rocks, and the third on the other side of the small overhead bridge.
- 3x one inside the second tower left of the main area and 2 more on top of the third tower guarded by a giant ax-wielding Serpent-man.
- 6x from the defeating second Ancient Wyvern.
- Lothric Castle
- 4x after the first bonfire.
- 5x after the Dragon Barracks bonfire beneath the bridge where you encounter the Lothric Wyvern.
- 4x for killing the Pus of Man infecting both wyverns past Dragon Barracks Bonfire.
- Grand Archives
- 1x just after the dragon slayer’s bonfire to the right.
- 1x as you enter Grand Archives one is to the right in the far corner.
- 1x is near the secret area where the Titanite Slab is located.
- 1x one is located where the spear Lothric Knight is patrolling.
- 1x one after the room with the two crystal lizards to the right.
- 1x one next to where you find the scholar’s ring.
- 1x one outside where you first encounter a Gargoyle.
- 2x on a balcony behind the ultra great sword Lothric Knight.
- 1x along the last series of roofs where 2 gargoyles spawn.
- 1x is where the story teller enemies are to the far right and close to a Lothric Knight.
- Dreg Heap
- 1x Near The Dreg Heap bonfire, to the left, below the lone Harald Legion Knight.
- 2x in the building, near the fountain, immediately after the first Angel where many Murkmen spawn.
- 1x on a corpse by a pillar, after dropping down from the bridge after meeting Lapp for the first time.
- 1x After the Earthen Peak Ruins bonfire, over the collapsed structure to the left, on a corpse behind a boulder.
- 1x after the Earthen Peak bonfire, on a corpse near the farthest cliff’s edge to the right of the Angel.
Why should I stock up on Titanite Chunks?
There are plenty of Titanite Chunks in the game to allow for a ton of upgrades. If you want to try out a new weapon and you don’t want to spend a ton of upgrade materials on it, you can purchase 12 Titanite Chunks from the Handmaid for 156,000 Souls. You can then go back to any area and test out the weapon.
It is totally up to you, but we would highly recommend purchasing a ton of them from the Shrine Handmaid so you have them for the future. You are definitely going to need them for upgrades, so try to stock up on as many as you can get. Go farm enemies, purchase them, or explore the world to find them. No matter how you do it, you will find what you are looking for.